Friday, April 23, 2010

Pugs & Powder.....22/04

Common Pug Powdered Quaker Hebrew Character Pyrausta aurata
Yet again not a great deal around in cold nightly conditions, even though during the day the weather has been glorious. The minefield that is Pugs has reared it's ugly head above my garden trap, as this 1 was found clinging to the underside of the roof overhang. It has a wingspan of 22mm and is similar in size to the melanic Brindled Pug I trapped last week.....any ideas?
Thanks to Melissa and Ben for your ID- Common Pug it is!*!
  1. Hebrew Character- 2
  2. Powdered Quaker
  3. Esperia sulphurella- Day flying Garden 1st
  4. Common Pug- Garden 1st
Today I had my 1st Pyrausta aurata of the year. These turn up in force and love herbs, especially Spearmint and Oregano!
STOP PRESS! I also had a Swift over my house! 22/04 is the earliest record I've ever had!

2 comments:

  1. Cheers Ben,

    On UK moths it says Common Pug wingspan upto 18mm. Yet this moth had a WS of 22mm- I think they need to update some of their info! Otherwise confusion will reign

    Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete