Saturday, April 17, 2010

Gasp! Another Tawny Pinion.......

Tawny Pinion
After Andy and Melissa of VC30 Moths took away the previous TP specimen for further analysis, I thought that would be the last I saw of this species for a long time. The previous record on 13th April was the 1st Beds record since 2006 and was only the 24th ever found in the county. The full article with dates of records is HERE

So imagine my surprise when after a very cold night with a ground frost, another 1 turned up. It was just sat on the outside of the trap and was very cooperative for it's 'photo shoot'

I have yet again retained the moth, just in case it needs to be examined. But clearly this is a different moth as the other 1 was taken to Lower Stondon, over 5 miles away!

Otherwise, the count was low as you would expect. However, over shadowed by the Pinion was my 1st ever Red Chestnut, a moth I didn't expect to trap!
  1. Common Quaker- 3
  2. Hebrew Character
  3. Tawny Pinion- 2nd Record
  4. Double-striped Pug
  5. Red Chestnut- Garden 1st
Red Chestnut

No comments:

Post a Comment