Saturday, July 31, 2010

I.D. sos...........30/07

This is what greeted me this morning when I emptied the trap- 18mm from nose to tail. Any takers??

Flounced Rustic
After trawling through books and images, I'm still non the wiser. It looks reminiscent of Small Clouded Brindle, but I'm just not sure............. It was originally ID'ed as a Dusky Brocade by VC30 Moth Group. But that wasn't the end of it, as a furthur investigation concluded with a reidentification of Flounced Rustic. So rather than a new species for the garden, I've ended up with a year tick instead..........
I did a full count as well, the results are as follows-
  1. Shuttle-shaped Dart- 12
  2. Agriphila tristella- 6
  3. Lesser Yellow Underwing- 5
  4. Chrysoteuchia culmella- 4
  5. Straw Underwing- 4
  6. Turnip Moth- 4
  7. Nutmeg-3
  8. Scalloped Oak- 3
  9. Dark Arches- 3
  10. Agriphila straminella- 2
  11. Bird-cherry Ermine- 2
  12. Ruby Tiger- 2
  13. Buff Ermine- 2
  14. Uncertain- 2
  15. Crambus pascuella
  16. Flounced Rustic- Year Tick (see photos)
  17. Pale Mottled Willow
  18. Pebble Prominent
  19. Brown House-moth
  20. Riband Wave
  21. Flame
  22. Cabbage Moth
  23. Common Rustic agg.
  24. Scarce Footman
  25. Codling Moth
  26. Pyrausta aurata
  27. Emmelina monodactyla
  28. Marbled Beauty
  29. Argyrotaenia ljungiana

No comments:

Post a Comment